The world trade center montréal and the ruelle des fortifications
Inaugurated in 1992, the World Trade Centre Montréal is made up of a whole city block in Old Montréal, the buildings of which have been completely renovated and linked together via a huge glass canopy, creating a large atrium that is comfortable to stroll through all year round.
A real indoor village, this fashionable, multifunctional complex offers a shopping mall with more than 20 boutiques, restaurants and cafés.
The complex is located next to the Palais des congrès de Montréal and the main business office of the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec. It is an integral part of the Quartier international of Montréal, and is a stone’s throw from Place Victoria and its metro station.
The Ruelle, which is the main entrance to the Centre, remains an important part of Montréal’s history. It depicts the stone wall, which surrounded the fortified city during the 18th century. In those days, the ruelle enclosed a military centre and it captured the vibrancy of the social activity within the stone walls. Farmers of the region frequently came and went through the gates of the fortifications to sell their products to the townsfolk. The demolition of the wall began in 1804 and ended around 1812.
During the construction of the World Trade Centre Montréal, a part of the ruelle des Fortifications was preserved. It is now home to photo and art exhibitions, vendor kiosks, television and movie shoots as well as private receptions, cocktails, wedding ceremonies, banquets, etc.